Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias – 8 Hour Basic Curriculum
Enjoy a full 8 hour day of interactive learning. Using adult learning strategies, professional staff are presented with essential dementia-related concepts that are reinforced through critical thinking exercises and return demonstration — with the goal of improving daily practice and care.
Our time together will cover the following key topics:
- Fundamentals of Dementia: Recognize how changes in the brain impact thinking, motor function and behavior
- Effective Communication: Demonstrate effective and compassionate communication strategies from early through late stages of dementia
- Understanding Dementia: Examine strategies that mitigate hoarding, paranoia, hallucination and “sun-downing.”
- Challenging Behaviors: Identify various “triggers” that may underlie episodes of agitation/aggression. Integrate strategies known to calm and de-escalate agitation without the use of sedatives or other psychotropic medications.
- Safety: Identify safety issues resulting from cognitive and motor changes and approaches for prevention
- Activities of Daily Living: Recognize ways to support independence and dignity with dressing, eating, bathing, walking and toileting
Programs offered in Chicago and Cook County
Call today 773-704-1834 to discuss more package information or related out of state programs.